The five pillars for a Green Single European Sky propose:
- Re-focused green objective: SES high level objectives should reflect the new political priorities introducing climate objectives fostering CO2 reduction and environmental objectives, notably reduction of noise and air pollution.
- Green performance: there should be green (environment and climate) performance targets for the Air Navigation Service Providers and the EUROCONTROL Network Manager offering green trajectories to airspace users.
- Green charging: use of the SES charging scheme as a tool to provide incentives to encourage efficient flight trajectories.
- Green digitalisation: boost the timely deployment of digital technologies and services by relevant operational stakeholders guided by the EUROCONTROL Network Manager in the SESAR deployment framework under the supervision of EASA.
- Green oversight: Under the supervision of the European Commission install a single monitoring and reporting system for the Single European Sky. This could leverage the existing mechanisms involving national authorities, EASA and PRB, and entities guiding the SESAR innovation cycle.
Download the non-paper below to learn more.