In this issue we cover the period from 2016 to 2020, combining European EVAIR and global IATA findings and discussing the trends in various air traffic management (ATM) events.
EUROCONTROL voluntary ATM incident reporting (EVAIR) safety bulletin 24
The year 2020 was marked by the COVID-19 pandemic, resulting in a sharp drop in the number of flights and, consequently, in the number of reports. In the measured time period, more than 300 aircraft operators flying to/from Europe executed 37,5 million flights - almost 2 million flights fewer than the previous five-year period.
Between 2016 and 2020
Reports in all categories
In this issue we report on:
- a decreased amount of drone events in 2019 and 2020, after the steep increase in 2018;
- a drop of GPS outage reports, from 59% in 2019 to 38% in 2020;
- the lowest ACAS RA occurrence level in the last ten yearsm neasured at 0.18 ACAS RAs in 10,000 flights;
- a slight increase in laser interference in 2020 - the only monitored area to record an increase that year;
- call-sign similarities increasing by 1.2% compared to the previous period, now making up 6.4% of ATM reports;
- air-ground communication remaining the highest contributor to ATM occurrences.
For much more information and a deeper dive into the reports, download and consult our bulletin.