Forecast growth in air traffic will increase pressure on Europe’s airports. Airports are looking for ways to improve runway and airport throughput while maintaining safety levels. The SORT (VLD3-W2) project will the test six solutions delivered under the SESAR Joint Undertaking, namely:
- optimised separation delivery on final approach (PJ.02-01-01);
- wake turbulence separations (for arrivals) based on static aircraft characteristics (PJ.02-01-04);
- reduction of wake turbulence risk considering acceleration of wake vortex decay in ground proximity (PJ.02-01-07);
- minimum pair separations based on required surveillance performance (PJ.02-03);
- trajectory-based integrated runway sequence (PJ.02-08-01);
- increased runway throughput based on local ROT characterisation (ROCAT) (PJ.02-08-03).
Demonstrations are planned at London Heathrow, Vienna and Stockholm Arlanda.