The recipe for a successful validation exercise
At the end of last month, the EUROCONTROL Network Research team successfully ran a new iteration of the SESAR validation exercise (joint PJ07 & PJ09 activity), validating the relevance and usefulness of the enhanced ATFCM information provided to airspace users in order to improve flight planning and demand and capacity balancing.
What is the recipe for a top-notch validation exercise?
- Take more than 30 participants; mixing expertise drawn from eight airlines, ANSPs, industry and the EUROCONTROL Network Research Team.
- Set up an efficient simulation environment on the Network Manager validation platform (NMVP) using NM B2B web services and dedicated prototypes developed by the EUROCONTROL NM and EUROCONTROL DATM/RDS/Network Research Team (NET).
- Mix scenarios and free sessions, allow sufficient time for brainstorming and you will obtain a fully success joint validation exercise!
This exercise iteration (1b) follows the initial iteration (1a) carried out in December 2017. Thanks to the feedback and requirements received from airlines and ANSPs after iteration 1a, new functionalities were implemented.
The spectrum was extended to cover the integration of flight planning and flow management information exchanges as well as Enriched DCB information made accessible to airspace users for their planned trajectories (hotspots, congestion indicators). The advanced what-if rerouting service was also updated to refine the support provided in the flight planning phase.
The next step will be the final validation exercise iteration 2, planned for the end of 2018; it will include locally developed tools (THALES, DSNA and AOP Prototype).
About DATM/RDS/NET and its activities
DATM drives ATM Strategies, contributes to European Research and Deployment, and manages high-level relations with European and global ATM partners, including military-military & civil-military coordination, with the overall objective of contributing to achieving the SES Objectives.
The R&D and SESAR Division provides technical/operational expertise to support and promote European research. This RDS Division manages EUROCONTROL’s contribution to all research projects (H2020 and S2020) and research consultation organisms.
Working with the Network Manager and Civil/Military partners, NET:
- delivers integrated and validated solutions to improve Network performance;
- conducts R&D activities for the evolution of the Network Management function (Regional, FAB & Local), including interfaces with Airports and Airspace Users;
- contributes to standardisation and ICAO;
- supports deployment;
- gives direction, stimulates and contributes to long-term Network Research.
In the framework of SESAR 2020 Network key features, NET leads three projects (PJs) and six out of eight operational solutions: Optimised Airspace Users Operations (PJ07), Advanced Airspace Management (PJ08) and Advanced Demand Capacity Balancing (PJ09). It participates in three more: Common Services (PJ15), 4D Trajectory Management (PJ18) and Network Collaborative Management (PJ24).
NET is also involved in exploratory research projects such as OPTIFRAME, COPTRA and INTUIT.
The PJ09 and PJ07 projects have received funding from the SESAR Joint Undertaking under the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 731730 and 733020