As part of the CEM the partners involved have created an Environmental Committee which is striving to reduce the airports CO2 emissions by 35% compared to 2019 by 2030, and to become carbon neutral by 2050. Formalising the commitments made by the different stakeholders (Brussels South Charleroi Airport, the SOWAER, Eurocontrol, skeyes, SABCA, Ryanair, TUI fly and Air Corsica), the main objectives of this working agreement are:
- To identify the challenges as well as the short- and long-term issues for Brussels South Charleroi Airport;
- To develop a shared environmental strategy and action plans to minimise environmental impacts (noise, air quality, greenhouse gas emissions);
- To define performance indicators designed to analyse the fulfilment of the environmental objectives established between the different stakeholders;
- To promote a better understanding of the interdependence between the airport, the airlines and the air navigation service providers as a whole;
- To support and help the airport grow, while reducing its impact on the environment;
- To support environmental certification processes such as ISO 14001:2015 or BSCA’s involvement in the Airport Carbon Accreditation (ACA) scheme;
- To facilitate the exchange of knowledge and expertise between the different stakeholders involved in CEM.