In the context of the EU Single European Sky Initiative, the Network Management Board (NMB) was created as part of the European Commission Regulation (EU) No. 677/2011 of 7 July 2011 (subsequently amended and repealed by the European Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No.2019/123 with application as from 01.01.2020). EUROCONTROL has been nominated by the European Commission as Network Manager. The NMB adopts measures related to the governance of the network functions and monitors their performance. Those Regulations describe the various tasks of the NMB and its membership as well as the tasks of the Single Sky Committee (SSC) in this regard (the SSC was created by EP and Council Regulation No 549/2004, as amended).
Network Management Board
The Network Management Board (NMB) ensures the governance of the Network Manager and monitors its performance. In particular, the board:
- endorses the Network Strategy Plan prior to adoption in accordance with Article 5(3) of Regulation (EC) No 549/2004;
- approves the 3 to 5 year and the annual Network Operations Plans;
- approves the cooperative decision-making processes, the consultation processes as well as detailed working arrangements and processes for operations for the network functions, after a positive opinion of the Single Sky Committee;
- approves the Rules of Procedure of the European Aviation Crisis Coordination Cell provided for in Article 18(4), after a positive opinion of the Single Sky Committee;
- monitors progress in the implementation of the plans and addressing any potential deviations from initial plans;
- monitors the consultation process of operational stake holders;
- monitors activities related to the management of the network functions;
- monitors Network Manager activities related to network crises;
- approves the annual report referred to in Article 20. This report shall include, but not be limited to, the implementation of the Network Strategy Plan and the Network Operations Plan;
- addresses issues which were not solved at individual network function level;
- assesses if the Network Manager has the appropriate competences, resources and impartiality to carry out independently the tasks assigned to it, including security, liability and contingency arrangements;
- endorses the Network Managers annual budget, after a positive opinion of the Single Sky Committee;
- approves its Rules of Procedure, after a positive opinion of the Single Sky Committee;
- addresses any additional subject it identifies as relevant.
The Board consists of voting and non-voting members.
The NMB's voting members include:
- one representative of air navigation service providers per functional airspace block;
- four representatives of commercial and non-commercial civil airspace users;
- two representatives of the airport operators;
- two representatives of the military as air navigation service providers and airspace users.
The Board also has three non-voting members, representing:
- the European Commission’s Director Air Transport Directorate (DG MOVE);
- the Network Manager.
The Chairman of the Board is Simon Hocquard, Director General of CANSO.
The Vice-Chairs are: Sylviane Lust, Director General of AIRE, and Luc Laveyne, Senior Advisor Single European Sky at ACI EUROPE.
Single Sky Committee
The SSC gives an opinion on:
- the nomination of the Network Manager;
- the appointment of the chairperson of the Network Management Board;
- the appointment of the voting members of the Network Management Board;
- the Rules of Procedure of the Network Management Board;
- the Network Strategy Plan, and in particular the objectives of this plan at an early stage;
- the annual budget of the Network Manager;
- the Rules of Procedure of the European Aviation Crisis Coordination Cell;
- the cooperative decision-making processes, the consultation processes as well as the detailed working arrangements and processes for operations for the network functions.