- Network functions
- Strategy and development
- Disruption and crisis
- Forecast, monitoring & analysis
- Network Operations
- Operations planning
- Communication, navigation and surveillance
- Technical Systems
- Network Manager contacts
Distance Measuring Equipment Tracer (DEMETER)
Distance Measuring Equipment Tracer (DEMETER) is a software tool which supports the implementation of Performance Based Navigation (PBN) and the optimisation and rationalisation of navigation infrastructure.
The tool enables simplified collaboration between airspace planners, procedure designers, navaids engineers and flight inspectors for establishing DME/DME positioning as a continuous ground-based back-up solution to the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS).
DEMETER is designed to assess the space performance of DME/DME signal in en route and TMA airspace. It can also be used to determine the ground infrastructure needed to support Area Navigation applications, like RNAV 1 (P-RNAV) in these phases of flight. This is done in accordance with EUROCONTROL’s guidelines on P-RNAV infrastructure assessment (EUROCONTROL-GUID-0114) as developed in cooperation with the ICAO Navigation Systems Panel (NSP) and endorsed by the Performance Based Navigation Study Group (PBN). The software tool also supports the assessment of VOR/DME coverage and redundancy in support of RNAV 5 (B-RNAV) applications.
DEMETER is currently used by Air Navigation Service Provider (ANSP) organisations in most ECAC (European Civil Aviation Conference) member states as well as globally by other organisations providing flight inspection or procedure design services, research institutes and universities.
SESAR projects have used DEMETER for the ECAC-wide assessment of the ground navigation infrastructure to evaluate the rationalisation potential and identifying optimisation solutions.
DEMETER’s main features and functionalities include:
- Integrated Navaids database for ECAC states supported by EUROCONTROL and Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs);
- Import of Navaids data from either EAD snapshot reports in AIXM 4.5 and 5.1 formats, ARINC424 data files or from flexible .csv format;
- Import of airspace elements (e.g. coordinate points, route segments, SID/STAR procedures) from EAD snapshot reports;
- Integrated GTOPO30 and DTED level 0 terrain database with support for high quality DTED levels 1 and 2 and other formats such as: SRTM, GeoTiff, ASTER, ARCINFO GRIDs, ASCII DEM;
- Coverage calculations based on Line-of-Sight, Free Space Path Loss or Diffraction propagation models;
- Co-channel separation checks, including 8dB D/U evaluation;
- DME-DME coverage and performance assessment, as well as VOR-DME coverage and redundancy assessment;
- Estimation of best location for a new DME site that together with the existing navigation infrastructure helps improve the DME-DME signal coverage in a designated area of interest;
- SID/STAR procedure definition, DME/DME performance calculation, and individual DME coverage prediction in vertical profile;
- Estimation of INS drift over coverage gaps;
- Batch processing (calculations queueing);
- Support for flight inspection planning on SID/STAR procedures, minimising the number of runs needed;
- Predefined Flight Inspection data formats as well as a flexible importing interface and pre-processing function allowing direct comparisons between predicted and achieved coverage;
- Import of RNAV Validation Tool (RVT) trajectories;
- 3D terrain and simulation results visualisation using NASA WorldWind;
- Import of user layers in shapefile and tiff formats;
- Export of 2D map layers in shapefile and .kml formats;
- Export of 2D map and simulation results to usual image formats.
The latest version of DEMETER (v2.2.0), released in April 2016, introduced a number of bug fixes and improvements such as:
- 64 bit architecture;
- Memory management optimization;
- Diffraction propagation models;
- AIXM 5.1 compatibility;
- Visibility calculations for the Siting tool;
- Inertial drift calculations on SIDs/STARs;
- 3D visualisation of calculation results;
- Standard Flight Inspection Systems interfaces;
- Import/export of navaids data in csv format;
- Import RVT Trajectories;
- Support for additional terrain data formats.
EUROCONTROL stakeholders may obtain DEMETER and its associated technical documentation free of charge.
As DEMETER works globally, other interested parties area may also request the software. The support provided by EUROCONTROL in this case may be limited and users might need to import their own navigation aids data.
Access can be requested via the button below or by contacting the DEMETER team.