- Network functions
- Strategy and development
- Disruption and crisis
- Forecast, monitoring & analysis
- Network Operations
- Collaborate with us
- Airspace and Aeronautical data
- Flight planning
- Flight data
- Call Sign Similarity
- Services and support
- NM calendar
- From CFMU to NM
- Operations planning
- Communication, navigation and surveillance
- Technical Systems
- Network Manager contacts
The European AIS Database (EAD)
The European AIS Database (EAD) is the world’s largest Aeronautical Information System (AIS): it is a centralised reference database of quality-assured aeronautical information and, simultaneously, a fully integrated, state-of-the-art AIS solution.
EAD is a single source for aeronautical data needs. It is a safer, faster, more accurate and more cost-effective solution than older, non-harmonised methods of AIS data collection and delivery. Besides, it increases the availability and accessibility of AIS information.
EAD offers instant access, no matter where you are, to the most up-to-date digital aeronautical information from the ECAC area, NOTAM (Notices to Airmen), Pre-flight Information Bulletins (PIBs) from around the world.
The database offers a number of clear benefits to both Data Providers and Data Users, including:
- a reliable source of European aeronautical information in real-time;
- significantly improved data quality enabled by constant data-checking (based on International Civil Aviation Organisation - ICAO - and EUROCONTROL recommendations), including NOTAMs (Notice to Airmen) validation and cross-border data-coherence verification;
- data integrity based on cyclic redundancy checks (CRC);
- additional cross-border data-coherence verification;
- a secure channel for the timely and efficient electronic distribution of aeronautical information to all users;
- reduced workload throughout the entire AIS process;
- lower investment costs for developing and maintaining local systems by both AIS Units and airspace users;
- higher availability of data through easy access.
EAD contributes to a reduction in safety risks posed by the distribution and publication of aeronautical information. On 9 December 2016, EUROCONTROL became the first pan-European Aeronautical Information Service Provider to be certified under the Single European Sky legislation regarding the provision of the European AIS Database (EAD).
EAD is a single, centralised repository of aeronautical information. It enhances the quality of aeronautical data by using international standards and rigorous data-checking procedures, including in-depth validation and verification. Two main types of clients use EAD: Data Providers and Data Users.
EAD Data Providers
Data providers use the database to directly maintain and distribute their own aeronautical information. They retain full control of – and intellectual property rights over – the information they input into EAD. Data providers include:
- Aeronautical Information Services (AIS) organisations in Civil Aviation Authorities, Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) and military administrations from the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC) area;
- designated organisations which maintain data that does not fall under the responsibility of national agencies.
EAD Data Users
Data users consult and download data or aeronautical publications; they generate reports from EAD. Typical data users include:
- data providers;
- aircraft operators;
- international organisations;
- private pilots;
- commercial users;
- the general public.
The data sourced globally includes original and processed NOTAM, SNOWTAM and ASHTAM messages, as well as minimum sets of SDO required for NOTAM validation and Pre-Flight Information Bulletin (PIB) generation, including aerodromes identification with associated runways, airspaces (FIR, UIR, TMA, P-D-R - pre-determined routes), routes, navaids and waypoints.
Data from ECAC and ECAC + states include original and processed NOTAM, SNOWTAM and ASHTAM, AIPs, AICs, Amendments, Supplements, and Charts, as well as full set of aeronautical information data published in AIP. It also covers aerodrome information including procedures, obstacles, en route information such as airspace, routes, navaids and waypoints, and general information such as Organisation, Authority and Units.
The EAD Service Steering Group was created to provide guidance for the management of EAD. Its mission encompasses steering EAD service provision, maintaining commitment from EAD stakeholders and encouraging the adoption of a standardised approach for the exchange of aeronautical information and related data.
Meetings take place every six months and focus on general management, system management, client migration, system performance and operational issues.
- Chairman: Giulio Melilli
- Secretary: Inge Tierens
The SSG is composed of senior representatives from civil and military governmental organisations and corporate or privatised Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSP), that have a vested interest in aeronautical information (AI) and/or responsibility for the provision of AI for or on behalf of:
- a European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC) member state;
- any non-ECAC member state which has migrated to EAD as a data provider.
The main tasks of the EAD SSG are to:
- provide guidance to the Head of European Aeronautical Information Management Unit (EAIM) and to ensure that the EAD evolves in line with EUROCONTROL’s objectives and customers’ requirements;
- provide advice, guidance and support to the Head of EAIM on the management of the EAD Systems and Services;
- advise on operational, policy or financial decisions to ensure that the EAD service remains viable and meets its business objectives;
- agree on actions for all matters with a potential major impact on the EAD functionality and/or budget before reporting on these to the relevant authority;
- carry out an annual review of the EAD service and its copyright charging scheme.
The European AIM (EAIM) Unit is available from 9:00-17:00h CET. Contact us if you have general questions about EAD.
EAD Service Desk
The service desk provides technical assistance to EAD clients 24/7.