The Performance Review Commission (PRC) was created by the EUROCONTROL States in 1998, following the adoption of the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC) Institutional Strategy the previous year.
A key feature of this Strategy was that “an independent Performance Review System covering all aspects of ATM in the ECAC area will be established to put greater emphasis on performance and improved cost-effectiveness, in response to objectives set at a political level”.
The Performance Review Unit (PRU) supports the Work Programme of PRC, which in turn provides independent advice to the EUROCONTROL Permanent Commission through the Provisional Council on pan-European ATM performance.
The PRU, with the PRC, collects and analyses performance-related data and develops recommendations to the Permanent Commission through an annual performance review report. Supported by the PRU, the PRC:
- conducts performance research to improve long-term performance measurement and to test new indicators;
- benchmarks operational stakeholders;
- provides in-depth analysis and independent ad-hoc studies on PRC initiative and at the request of interested parties;
- ensures widespread circulation of best practices for ATM performance.
The PRU provides support to the European Commission (EC) on the basis of a service contract, signed in 2017, which runs for four years, covering support by EUROCONTROL to the Commission in relation to the collection, validation, pre-analysis and provision of data for performance review.
The PRU provides support to the EC, its Agencies and Advisory Bodies on the basis of a co-operation agreement implemented by the means of a work programme and associated work-plan. Longer-term cooperation activities include:
- assessment of technical compliance of unit rates and reporting on costs exempt from cost sharing;
- work on US-EU performance comparisons and ad hoc analyses at the EC’s request in support of performance and charging schemes;
- promotion of global and regional performance measurement within ICAO and other world regions;
- secondment of performance experts to the EC.
Areas of common interest can be added to this cooperation.
Air traffic management cost-effectiveness dashboard
Pan-European air navigation services performance data portal
Single European Sky online monitoring dashboard
Our air navigation services performance review activities are performed by the Performance Review Unit (PRU) on behalf of the Performance Review Commission.
For more information about the relation between the two bodies and their way of working visit our governance section.