Network Operations Report – November 2016
Traffic in November 2016 increased by 3.3% compared to November 2015 and was in line with the baseline forecast. Eleven states contributed most to the European local traffic growth, with UK, Spain and Poland as the top contributors. The Lufthansa traffic decreased due to the cancellations during the strike between 23 and 30 November 2016.
Total ATFM delays decreased by 43.2% in November 2016 compared to November 2015. En-route ATFM delays decreased by 18.9%; airport ATFM delays decreased by 52.3%. Note that airport ATFM delays were relatively high in November 2015 due to weather. The significant decrease of ATFM delays at Istanbul/Sabiha Gökcen airport is due to the traffic decrease in Turkey since March 2016 and a milder weather compared to November 2015.
- En-route events delays in Bordeaux ACC due to the on-going ERATO system implementation. The implementation generated significantly less delay than initially predicted due to a collaborative plan being established with all stakeholders providing extra capacity in surrounding ACCs, reduced military activity and a wide ranging re-route strategy in cooperation with aircraft operators;
- En-route ATC capacity delays in Maastricht, Lisbon, Canarias and Langen ACCs, staffing issues in Maastricht and Langen ACCs;
- Aerodrome capacity issues generated high delays at Istanbul/Sabiha Gökcen airport, and to a lesser extent at Istanbul/Ataturk airport;
- Seasonal weather affected Canarias ACC; strong winds, snow and/or low visibility impacted Amsterdam/Schiphol, London/Heathrow, Stockholm/Arlanda, Warsaw, London/City, Zurich, Oslo, Brussels and Barcelona airports;
- Runway maintenance at Bucharest/Henri Coanda airport generated 7,823 minutes of ATFM delay.
The average en-route ATFM delay per flight in NM area in November 2016 was 0.26 min/flt, which was above the monthly guideline value of 0.23 min/flt. The average YTD en-route ATFM delay per flight in 2016 in the NM area is 0.90 min/flt which is above the corresponding guideline value of 0.52 min/flt.
The monthly Network Operations Report overview provides a high level view of the performance of the European ATM network, whilst the analysis provides a detailed view. Download previous network performance reports.
Do you want to keep up to date on the latest Network Performance? Subscribe to our monthly Network Operations Report newsletter to receive updates on the performance of the European ATM network.
The latest edition of the Reporting Assumptions & Descriptions is now available via the monitoring network performance webpage.
The target audience of our performance reports are ATM professionals including air navigation service providers, airport operators and aircraft operators. Contact us if you have any questions!