Communications, Navigation and Surveillance (CNS) are three technologies at the very heart of Air Traffic Management (ATM) and also at the core of the Network Management Directorate (NMD).
The NMD provides dedicated resources that are focused upon ensuring that the numerous systems and sub-systems work together in a harmonized manner that is interoperable, safe and resilient, efficient and able to meet the evolving needs of ATM. It facilitates consultation with a wide range of partners including Air Navigation Service Providers, National Supervisory Authorities, industry, airspace users (both civil and State) and avionics manufacturers, with one shared objective: the efficiency of the pan-European ATM network.
NMD resources offer independent and impartial expertise bridging the operational and technical worlds. With such expertise and being positioned to ‘see the big picture’ the NMD is ideally placed to capture pan-European ATM requirements for the benefit of the entire European network – and ultimately its customers, the airspace users. The NMD works to ensure those requirements are translated into CNS technologies which culminate in the development and validation of international standards. However our contribution doesn’t stop at that point. Effort to support the deployment activities, developing and maintaining products such as the multi-sensor tracker ARTAS, and subsequent monitoring of the performance achieved by the Network is provided to ensure the gains are realized and maintained.
For an overview of CNS Services, please see below.
- ATS Ground Voice Network service (AGVN)
- ATS Messaging Management Centre (AMC)
- ATS Message Handling System (AMHS)
- ATM suRveillance Tracker And Server (ARTAS)
- Centralised Code Assignment and Management System (CCAMS)
- European Regional Monitoring Agency (EUR RMA)
- Mode S Interrogator Code Allocation (MICA)
- SuRveillance Message Conversion and Distribution Equipment (RMCDE)
- Surveillance Analysis Support System for ATC-Centre (SASS-C)
- Surveillance Data Distribution System (SDDS)