- Single European Sky
- Regulatory support
- European ANS Performance Review
- Oversight Division (OVS)
- Safety Regulation Commission
- Pan-European planning, monitoring and reporting
- Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS)
- Functional Airspace Block (FABs)
Small emitters tool
According to European Commission Decision 2007/589/EC amended by Decision 2009/339/EC, a simplified method to determine their fuel consumption and carbon dioxide emissions for EU ETS monitoring and reporting purposes can be used.
The small emitters' tool is the EUROCONTROL fuel consumption and carbon dioxide (CO2) estimation tool that the European Commission has approved via the Commission Regulation (EU) No. 606/2010. The tool meets the requirements of the guidelines established by Decision 2007/589/EC in respect of the approach based on individual flights and aircraft type used (as per ICAO doc 8643), actual route length and statistically sound fuel consumption relationships.
The tool is based on a methodology designed to estimate the fuel burn for an entire flight (not for specific flight phases) considering the characteristics of the air traffic covered by the EU ETS. It is updated on a regular basis in order to improve when possible its accuracy.
The following tool versions can be used by :
- small emitters of their monitoring and reporting obligations pursuant to Article 14(3) of the Directive 2003/87/EC (the EU ETS Directive) and Part 4 of Annex XIV to Decision 2007/589/EC (the monitoring and reporting guidance);
- all aircraft operators pursuant to Part 5 of Annex XIV to Decision 2007/589/EC for the purposes of estimating the fuel consumption of particular flights covered by the EU ETS where the data necessary to monitor the emissions of carbon dioxide are missing as a result of circumstances beyond the control of the aircraft operator and which cannot be determined by an alternative method defined in the operator’s monitoring plan.
Instant delivery registration
If you wish to receive each release of the tool by email, please fill in the form at the bottom of this page.
Different versions of the tool are available for different years. To ensure consistency with processes of Verifiers and Administering States it is very important that Aircraft Operators, Small Emitters (for their simplified monitoring procedure and reporting) and other Operators (when reporting Data Gaps) use exclusively the relevant version for the each reporting period.
|For 2013 traffic emissions||version 5.02 dated 2013.08.01, to be used for flights operated in 2013||Changes are the addition of GLF6 and EC75 new aircraft types and the calibration of former existing types.using 2010 and 2011 actual fuel burn data collected from Aircraft Operators.|
|For 2012 traffic emissions||version 5.01_2 dated 2013.03.06, to be used for flights operated in 2012||
This version includes the additional aircraft types AS3B, AT73, AT46, G280 and L37 compared with earlier version 2012.11.15.
It superseds version 4.105, dated 2012.11.15
The small emitters tool and the ETS Support Facility
The small emitters' tool is a part of the ETS Support Facility (read more about it on the ETS Support Facility page). The ETS Support Facility is a comprehensive integrated solution with individual flights database records designed for ETS follow-up and compliance to support aircraft operators, verifiers, service companies acting on behalf of aircraft operators and ETS competent authorities.
Please contact Antonio Astorino for:
- receiving previous versions of the tool applicable to past years (2011, 2010)
- more information on the small emitters tool and its use;
- reporting issues with the use of the small emitter tool;
- should you wish to provide actual fuel burn data to support the further improvement of the small emitters tool accuracy.