- SESAR 2020
- ATM Master Plan
- ATM Architecture & Information Management
- Building the future Network
- Future airport operations
- Future ATC operations & systems
- Civil-military coordination
- Long-term research & innovation
- Validation infrastructure
- Research cooperation
- Business Cases and Cost Benefit Analyses.
Future ATC operations & systems
We contribute to R&D activities related to Air Traffic Services (ATS) with a focus on:
- Pan European applicability
- Performance improvement from a network perspective
- Coordination between ATS and Network operations
Our key assets:
We have a long lasting expertise in air traffic services (ATS) concept development and validation, and a wide range of operational and technical skills, dedicated to a neutral pan-European perspective.
Our approach covers the whole spectrum from innovative and applied research to pre-industrial validation.
We have established a strong cooperation network with ANSPs, universities, R&D centres and industry.
We have developed tools and methods for performance assessment, taking advantage of our state of the art simulation facilities and a direct access to Network Management data.
Enhanced Arrival & Departure Management
Through the development of operational requirements and validation exercises, we evaluate the extension of arrival management to en-route traffic.
4D Trajectory Management – Initial 4D
Initial 4D concept development, definition of operational services and related benefits, validation of supporting technologies in close cooperation with MUAC.
Areas of work:
- Air/Ground trajectory information exchanges via ADS-C datalink
- Development of the concept of the use of time constraints - Controlled Time of Arrival
- Ground/Ground Interoperability
- Point Merge designs & assessments
- Simulations & involvement in Live Trials to prepare deployment in close cooperation with ANSPs
Ensure that Ground-based & Airborne Safety Nets for airborne phases of flight remain fit for purpose in future operational environments.
Areas of work:
Ground – Air Safety Nets compatibility
Contribute to the development of an operational concept for the display of TCAS Resolution Advisories on Controller Working Positions
- Air SN – validation of ACAS X in Europe
- Ground SN - Safety assurance elements for enhanced ground based safety nets adapted to future 3/4D trajectory operations with ground based separation
ATC architecture and systems
- Specification of requirements for en-route and Approach ATC systems
- Ensure consistency of diverse system developments
- Coordinate the definition and verification of ATC system enablers that contribute to the provision of operational improvements as described in the European ATM Master Plan
- Specification requirements and design of Integrated Controller Working Position interface
Complexity Assessment and Resolution
- Improvement of ATCO workload prediction and distribution through development of automated tools based on complexity metrics.
- Develop procedures to integrate Local Network Function with extended ATC planning using workload prediction
- Collaboration with controllers and experts from MUAC to validate the concept