When compared to the current paper AIP, the implementation of an eAIP has advantages for both the organisation producing the eAIP and for its users.
Advantages for users of an eAIP:
- possibility to visualise changes, both in text and graphics;
- no maintenance effort;
- no postal delays, when distributed through the Internet or equivalent private networks;» available at hand for the whole company (no need to go to the library);
- easy archiving;
- proven authenticity of the document (if digitally signed by the issuing AIS).
Advantages for producers of an eAIP:
- better AIP (consistency, integrity , usability);
- the majority of the subscribers do no longer ask for paper amendments;
- technological leap forward;
- reduced risk and cost as compared to isolated development;
- reduced costs for internal copies;
- easier to create integrated/regional AIPs;
- easy archiving (better support for legal proceedings);
- possibility to guarantee the integrity and the authenticity of the document by digitally signatures.
Since November 2004, the European AIS Database (EAD) is able to store and offer for consultation electronic AIP complying with the EUROCONTROL eAIP Specification