Now is a particularly good time to look at Centralised Services because:
- implementing the improvements coming out of SESAR will mean a lot of coordinated investment over the next few years;
- the SESAR operational concept is much more network-centric and data-focused; and
- the industry has become more cost-sensitive and thus is more receptive to a centralised approach that saves money;
- it allows the ATM manufacturing industry to develop high tech solutions for future ATM;
- it supports the creation of a market for some ATM support services;
- it helps to make European ATM more competitive.
Centralised services are expected to bring many benefits:
- cost savings (currently estimated at €1.5-2 billion over 10 years);
- better operational efficiency and inter-operability;
- a smoother, more coordinated introduction of the SESAR operational concept;
- introduction of competitive trans-border activities;
- a stronger position for Europe on the global stage.